Saturday, January 19, 2013

Twenty-Eight: Spoken from the Heart(burn)


When I hear Adele sing the words "There's a fire starting in my heart", I feel so touched. Like she knows just what I'm going through..

Heartburn.There's a myth that the more heartburn you have during pregnancy, the more hair your baby will be born with. Based on that assumption, I'm having a werewolf. If we were playing the "Desert Island" game, and I was still pregnant on this hypothetical island, I would take Tums and my maternity pillow. These are the most essential items during pregnancy, you should know that.

On a possibly related note, I have been on this crazy grape juice kick. Like, drinking a gallon in two days or less. I wouldn't say that I've had the weird "pickles and ice cream"cravings, but I've most certainly had these strange weeks of a particular craving. At first, there was grapefruit. Then bagels and cream cheese. Then pears, then pretzels, then apples with cheese and milk, and now grape juice. Cheerios have had a pretty consistent and ongoing role throughout my pregnancy, and I'm always down for some Chinese food (but not ever from Canton again- tastes like urine, well what I would imagine urine to taste like). Luckily most of my cravings have been for healthy food, however, I have eaten more sweets and candy during my pregnancy than I ever have in my entire life. There's another myth which says that if you crave sweets, you are having a girl. So yeah. Totally having a werewolf.

I have also been revisited by pregnancy brain. The other day, I tried to open my apartment door with the unlock button on my car key. I hit the button twice, annoyed that it didn't open the first time. I also peed on my hand (completely separate incident), but whatever, I don't want to talk about it.

We had our appointment on Friday, and all is well. No gestational diabetes, no anemia. Maybe drinking skim milk and exercising some is in my best interest. I've gained a little more than necessary (darn you chocolate milk. I've been drinking my calories like crazy). We watched more videos of live births. I cried like a baby.

Overall, I'm pretty content with week twenty eight. We got our first snow here in Virginia, the sun finally came out after a week of rain, and my Christmas Cactus has sprouted several little pink buds. We purchased our stroller and carseat and bought a few other items for Baby S. Time is flying and it's almost Spring.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the heartburn comment. I'm glad your pain is causing me laughter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete